The printer not printing is the most common and frustrating problem for the users. Since there is a large variety of printers in the market nowadays, it is hard to provide a guide to resolve the issue for the different operating system.
The drivers of the printer play an important role to create the issue. To work properly, the printer needs to connect with a server. The connectivity of the device further helps the drivers to successfully install the printer on the PC.
“Why is my printer not working?” is a common question on the internet from printer users. If you are also one of them then we have prepared this article for readers like you. Read the whole article till the end to solve your printer related issue.
Ways to Solve the Problem of “Printer not Working”
Printers are something that is creating problems for a long time. And resolving the issues of the printer is one of the most troublesome. Below is a list of ways to troubleshoot the problem so that you can use the printer effortlessly for your work.
Check the Error Light of Printer | Printer Not Printing
While facing some error, the printer shows the error message through coloured lights or a series of cryptic flashing on the printer. However, the pop-up message might not be able to tell you the accurate reason for the error. Hence you would need to check and the error using the trial and erroring method. In case, the user has lost the manual of the printer, he/she can download the PDF manual to resolve the issue of the printer.
After successfully figuring the issue, that could be no ink or jam in the printer, look for the issue in the manual and then try to perform the guided instruction.
Clear the Queue of Printer | Printer Not Printing
Sometime the printer might be showing an error due to the jamming up of the print queue. This could create an issue by failing the print of the old documents. To resolve follow the steps instructed below.
- Tap on the Windows icon.
- Then select the option, Open All Printers.
- Click on the option System Preferences.
- Then go to the button Printers & Scanners.
- Tap on, Open Print Queue.
Alternative Method, Restart the Print spooler. After that print the documents as if they were added to the queue.
- Start the Menu.
- Type “Command Prompt” on the search bar.
- Then select, the option Run As Administrator.
- Then paste the commands: net stop spooler, del %systemroot%\System32\spool\PRINTERS\* /Q /F /S, net start spooler.
- And then press the Enter button.
Solidify the Connection | Printer Not Printing
This should not any resolving step, but yet I thought it should be included.
“Check the plugging of the printer from the power point.”
Sometime it might be just a silly ignorance that could be resulting in the issue. Somebody could have just plug out the printer to charge their cellphone.
If you are using a Wi-fi connection, then try to plug the PC with a USB and check if that is working for you. If the printer is receiving enough good signals then try to check the network of the router and you can also try to move the router closer to the printing device (no, it’s not a joke). Sometime, the signals from the router might be facing some kind of distraction which might cause poor signal.
Make Sure You Have Right Printer | Printer Not Printing
Again, these are some basic steps that are required to keep in mind if you are facing any printer related issue. If you are using multiple printers, then chances are you have directed the documents to some other printer and are looking for it in some other device.
Let’s say you have recently got a printer home and are trying to print a document. But your WIndows OS has sent the painting request to the wrong printer, and hence you are facing the issue.
To solve this follow the steps below.
- Select the file that you need to print.
- Then go to the menu bar by using a shortcut.
- Carefully choose the right printer from the drop-down printer.
- Choose the option to continue.
Following the steps, you would be able to print the required document conveniently.
Install the Drivers and Software | Printer Not Printing
Mostly, the printer that you have plugged into your system, automatically collect the required drivers. But sometimes the user needs to spend a few hours scratching their hed to set that up.
- Go to the official website of the printer’s manufacturer.
- Click on the support page and search for your model.
- Then Download the necessary driver or the software.
- You are good to go.
Add Printer | Printer Not Printing
You need to add the list of Windows if you are using the printer over the Wi-Fi. Below are a few steps to solve it.
For the Windows 10 users.
- Go to the Settings.
- And then search for the option Devices.
- In there, tap on the Printers & Scanners button.
- Hit the Add printers option.
For Windows 7 users.
- Open the Control Panel option.
- Then go to the section, Device and Printers.
For Mac users.
- Hit on the System Preferences option.
- Look for Printers & Scanners, click on it.
After getting the preferred network to add the printers to the list.
Check Paper is Installed | Printer Not Printing
I know, you have kept the paper tray filled. But still, in case, you haven’t, that could be the possible reason for the error. Sometimes, the printer might not get the proper hold on the paper even if the tray is loaded with paper. The device will assume that the paper tray is empty. Try to remove the tray and then re-align it with the printer.
There also could be jamming of the paper during the mechanism. Try to pull out the crumpled paper from the paper tray.
There could be some tiny paper residue that is causing the jam in the device. Try to remove the small bits of paper alongside the rollers. If you are not able to do it on your own then try to take it to the repair shop.
Fiddle with the Ink Cartridges | Printer Not Printing
Sometimes the printer shows the error of insufficient ink even if you know that the printer has enough ink in it. In that case, the user must do a few things.
- Make sure that the head of the print is not clogged.
- If the copper stip from which the ink comes out is clogged by dirt or dried out ink then you have to clean it with a wet tissue.
- The user can also get more toner out by shaking the cartridge sidewise, for the laser printers.
- After that, re-install the cartridge into the printer.
- If your printer is not addressing a new ink then chances are there must be some problem in the settings of the printer. Try to check it and then resolve it accordingly.
- Sometimes, third-party cartridges might be causing problems. Try to change it with the genuine one from the same manufacturer.
Run Self Test | Printer Not Printing
If none of the above methods helped you to solve the issue, then try to run a few diagnostic tests. The user can effortlessly run the self-test of the printer by pressing certain buttons to boot up the printer.
- Go to the settings.
- Then tap on the option Devices.
- Look for the button Printers & Scanners, and hit it.
If the result of the self-test comes out fine, but still you are getting some issue from Windows then it is the problem in the software.
- Print black Test Page
- Take a Screenshot on Windows 10
- Is A3 Bigger than A4?
- Print your Photos on Mugs
- Printable Crossword Puzzles
- QuickBooks Not Printing
- Cheapest Place to Buy Printer Ink Online
And if the printer does not pass the self-test, then the user should repair the printer itself.
Hopefully, the above methods helped you to resolve your printer problem. And you no longer have to search for “Epson printer not printing” or “why is my printer not printing?” on different websites to get some answers. If the solutions did not help you to find the issue then consult with some technical professionals. If this article was helpful, consider reading other blogs on our website.